Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Blind Side

I just finished watching The Blind Side with the lovely newly wife. I laughed through the whole thing, mostly because if I didn't I was going to cry. That movie has really made me thankful for all the things I have been blessed with. Not the least of which are my mom and dad. I can't imagine my life without the influence and support they have had on me.
If you haven't seen this movie, it's about a young black high school student that a wealthy white family takes in and cares for until he goes off to college on a football scholarship. Some of the scenes in that movie are heartbreaking to realize that people live the way they do. It makes me thankful for the blessings I have received. Sandra Bullock's character (the mom) is the force that changes Micheal's life and in doing that she changes her own and her family's life. Keep in mind this is based on a true story and I'm humbled by the real life mom that took in Micheal, and thankful for her. Micheal went on to become a first round draft pick in the NFL in 2009. Her act of charity will be enjoyed by millions of people watching the NFL for years to come. It's insirational in the truest sense of the word.
At the end of the movie I thought about how the choices we make effect others. And how those others then effect us. The mom got back so much more than she gave. She got another son, all because she was kind to a young black man that had no where to go. I was stuck by the idea that we all effect others and it's those interactions that define us. We are all only here for a while...and we are only in each others for a while. I hope that one day I have the kind of effect on someone that changes their life for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment